The DASH diet is an eating and lifestyle plan that is based on a diet rich in fruit, nuts and vegetables, lean protein — including chicken and seafood — and low-fat dairy products. There are variations of the diet, with some having lower sodium intake than others. The emphasis of the DASH diet is to assist with blood pressure management and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Meal-prepping is the key to being successful on any eating plan and will really help you if you are following the DASH diet. Here are a few tips to help you manage meal-prepping:
- Plan your meals and shopping list ahead of time so you will always have what you need on hand.
- Keep bagged salads and cut up fruit and veggies in your fridge ready to go.
- Grill some lean proteins for the week, or just stock up on StarKist pouches of tuna, salmon and chicken.
- Keep a variety of fresh, frozen and canned (low-sugar and low-sodium) fruits, vegetables and beans available for easy meal-prep.
- Cook whole grains — like barley, farro and brown rice — ahead to add to soups, salads and vegetables for lunch or dinner.
For even more meal-prep ideas, take a look at this DASH Eating Plan.
Of course not! Fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy foods and tuna, salmon and chicken pouches all make great snacks.
Try our Ginger Sesame Cucumber Swirls or Jalapeño Tuna Avocado Toast, which are easy snacking options within the DASH diet plan.
We sure do! Apart from those delicious recipes featured in the above gallery, here are some of our favorites that work well if you are following a DASH diet:
Note: Other recipes can be modified to use reduced-fat or fat-free cheese.
Eating well when on the go can be a challenge, no matter what eating plan you follow! The DASH diet includes flavorful foods that can be prepared ahead and taken on the go. Pack a salad for lunch, and just add a pouch of our Chunk Light Tuna or Albacore White Tuna for a delicious lunch or portable snack. Keep a pouch of StarKist E.V.O.O.® Tuna or Salmon or Tuna or Salmon Creations® in your desk drawer or pantry, and pair it with cut-up vegetables or make a quick lettuce wrap for an afternoon pick-me-up. Simply tear and pair!