Add Some Tasty Lean Protein to Your Paleo Diet
Discover StarKist’s® protein-packed options for delicious tuna, chicken and salmon.
The paleo diet (also called the paleolithic, or stone age diet) is based on protein, fruits and vegetables. People who follow this diet avoid dairy, grains, legumes and most processed foods and focus on eating foods that were available in prehistoric times. The rationale for this diet is the belief that our bodies are unable to process foods that have been developed by modern farming.
The paleo diet is a hunter-gatherer type eating plan. It encourages eating lean protein foods like beef, poultry, fish and eggs, along with fruit or nut oils like olive oil, avocado and walnut oils, fruit, vegetables (except potatoes) and nuts.
Fish is a lean protein and food that is encouraged for the paleo diet. Our StarKist® Chunk Light, Albacore Tuna, Wild Pink Salmon as well as our StarKist E.V.O.O.® are all great choices to incorporate into easy, paleo-friendly recipes.
Visit our Where to Buy page to find local retailers and online shopping options to stock up on your StarKist® favorites and to make your paleo diet journey as successful as possible.
Team Charlie, don't forget to sign up for our online community of StarKist® fans! You’ll get first notice when it comes to special promotions, like sweepstakes, giveaways and offers. Team Charlie members also receive exclusive content, like recipes, tips and new product announcements. This is your personal invitation to join the group of fans who enjoy all things StarKist as much as you! Join today.
This information is provided as general information only and should not be used in place of medical advice. Please talk with your health care provider before starting any diet or specialized eating plan.
FAQs: Want to know more about the paleo diet? Check out our FAQs below!
The paleo diet is an eating plan based on lots of protein foods, including fish, fruit, nuts and vegetables and low or few processed foods. There are variations of the diet, with some allowing a more relaxed eating style a few days a week but the basis of the diet is that it avoids all grains, starchy vegetables, dairy products and legumes as well as highly processed foods.
Meal prepping is the key to being successful on the paleo diet. Since you will need to prepare most foods from scratch, being organized and having a few shortcuts is going to be essential. Here are a few tips to help you manage meal prepping:
- Plan your meals ahead of time so you will always have what you need on hand.
- Keep bagged salads, nut butters, hard-boiled eggs and pouches of tuna and salmon ready to go.
- Cook or grill an extra chicken breast or flank steak to slice up and add to a salad for lunch.
Absolutely not! Nut butters, hard-boiled eggs, nuts and seeds and tuna and salmon pouches make great snacks.
Try our Wasabi Lettuce Wraps or Avocado Tuna Stacker with cut vegetables instead of chips.
You got it! In addition to some of those recipes featured in our above gallery, here are a few of our favorites that work well if you are following a paleo diet and many of ours can be modified by just eliminating the dairy or legumes and will still be delicious.
Try our Lemon Dill Zoodles or Breakfast Omelet (just skip the cheese!)
Eating well when on the go can be a challenge no matter what eating plan you follow! The paleo diet includes flavorful foods that can be prepared ahead and taken on the go. Pack a salad for lunch, and just add a pouch of our Chunk Light or Albacore Tuna for a delicious lunch or snack on the go. Keep a pouch of StarKist E.V.O.O.® Tuna or Salmon in your desk drawer or pantry and pair it with cut up vegetables or make a quick lettuce wrap for an afternoon pick me up.
Paleo-friendly StarKist E.V.O.O.® and StarKist Selects® products:
- StarKist E.V.O.O.® Solid Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist E.V.O.O.® Solid Yellowfin Tuna with Roasted Garlic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist E.V.O.O.® Solid Yellowfin Tuna with Lemon Dill and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist E.V.O.O.® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist E.V.O.O.® Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist Selects® Solid Yellowfin Tuna in Water
- StarKist Selects® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water
- StarKist Selects® No Salt Added Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water
Paleo-friendly StarKist® products:
- StarKist® Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- StarKist® Reduced Sodium Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- StarKist® Albacore White Tuna in Water
- StarKist® Low Sodium Albacore White Tuna in Water
- StarKist® Wild Pink Salmon
- StarKist Tuna Creations® Lemon Pepper
- StarKist® Premium White Chicken
- StarKist® Premium White Chicken 25% Less Sodium
- StarKist® Light Tuna in Water Pouch 25% Less Sodium