Recipe Yield: 12
This Broiled Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes recipe is a nice start to a meal, or as a light meal! To make fresh breadcrumbs, process ½ pound French bread in food processor bowl fitted with metal blade. Freeze remaining breadcrumbs for later use.
- 1 (6.4 oz.) Pouch or 2 (2.6 oz.) Pouches or 2 (5 oz.) Cans - Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- 6 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 5 oz. crimini mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed, chopped finely
- 3 cups French or sourdough breadcrumbs, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Halve each tomato; use a fork to break up the cut surface of each half, pressing down to make a shallow well. Arrange on a baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, heat butter over low heat; add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add onion and cook until softened. Add mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes until just soft.
- In a large bowl, combine tuna, garlic, onion, mushrooms, breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Fill each tomato with a generous 1⁄2 cup filling. Drizzle olive oil over filled tomato halves. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until heated through. Place under broiler just until tops are lightly browned and crisp.
Recipe Nutrition Information
When using 1 (6.4 oz.) or 2 Pouches (2.6 oz.) Chunk Light Tuna in Water
|Servings Per Container: 12|
|Serving Size: 1⁄2 tomato (142g)|
|Amount Per Serving||DV%*|
|Includes Added Sugars|
*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.