If your New Year’s resolution includes eating better, you aren’t alone! Millions of Americans start the New Year with high hopes of improving their eating habits and losing weight.
Salads are an easy, “go-to,” healthy lunch that can help realize those goals. The trick is getting enough protein to keep you full through the afternoon and mixing it up so your taste buds don’t get bored! There are many options for making fun and delicious salads that will start your New Year off on the right track. Combine different ingredients below and you’ll have a variety of healthy salads for the week.
- Stick to your Ribs – Protein helps fill you up so adding some lean protein options will help that salad stick to your ribs. Topping your salad with a pouch of StarKist® Tuna, a handful of dried beans, leftover chicken or salmon, feta cheese or goat cheese are great options to add filling and healthy protein.
- Get Creative – A variety of mixed salad greens, spicy arugula, heirloom tomatoes, shredded carrots, celery, beets or cucumbers are perfect bases for a fresh tasting salad.
- Add a Sweet Punch – Sliced apples or pears, mandarin oranges, mangoes, grapefruit, dried cranberries, figs or apricots can add just the right amount of sweetness that combines perfectly with savory proteins.
- Boredom Buster – Almonds, peanuts, walnuts or hazelnuts or some high fiber grains like quinoa, wheat berries or farro, give any salad a little crunchy boost.
- Zip and Zing – Don’t forget the dressing! Yes, dressing can add a tasty punch to your salad and the bonus is the fat will help your body absorb all those healthy nutrients from the fruits and vegetables. It’s true – you don’t need to sacrifice flavor with a fat free dressing – just keep your portion under control and you’ll be satisfied and satiated!